Hercules Algethi (ヘラクレス星座のアルゲティ) is one of the Silver Saints.
After the two groups of Silver Saints had failed to kill the Bronze Saints, take back the Gold Cloth and kidnap Saori Kido. The Grand Pope felt he had to send a Gold Saint to Japan to finish it all. The one he sent was Leo Aiolia, the brother of the traitor Sagittarius Aiolos. The Grand Pope didn't trust him completely so he sent three Silver Saints to keep tabs on him. It turned out they were true about their suspicions, since Aiolia saw no honor in fighting an injured foe. So as the Gold Saint didn't finish of neither Pegasus Seiya or Ophiuchus Shaina, the three Silver Saints made their entrance.
Canis Major Sirius was the first one to reveal himself with Algethi and Musca Dio behind him. Sirius immediately accused Aiolia of being soft, and seeing as he was the brother of a traitor, the Grand Pope had told them to keep an eye on Aiolia. The Gold Saint responded that he would finish his mission, and said that they should return
to Sanctuary. Yet they did not trust him and Algethi took Seiya by surprise and used his Kornephoros on the Bronze Saint. But the attack was interrupted in mid-air by Dio who wanted a piece of Seiya and thus used his attack on him. But his attack was also interrupted, this time by Sirius who said they should compete for the final blow. Thus Algethi threw him up in the air once more and the three Silver Saints prepared to finish him of the fastest they could. But suddenly Seiya disappeared, he was taken in by the Sagittarius Gold Cloth and defeated the Silver Saints in an instant
Chronology (OAVs Hades)
In the Hades arc adaptation to the anime, Algethi was resurrected by Hades. With both Sirius and Dio he set out to Japan for Andromeda Shun. There they fought until Shun equipped his Cloth and easily defeated them, in their dying words they commented how powerful the Bronze Saints had become.
Although Algethi's resurrection was clearly depicted in the anime adaptation as a minor addition to the manga plot, Kurumada only hinted it in his manga, with the opened tombs of deceased Silver Saints.
Cloth & Name
- Algethi's Silver Cloth represents the constellation Hercules and depicts the hero Herakles in his lion garb. The anime version differs from the original to small details and the addition of foot armor.
- Kurumada named him Algethi, after a star in the Hercules (Hercules) Constellation which is in the head of Hercules.
- In greek, the name of his technique Kornephoros means "He who wields the mace". This was one of the names by which Hercules was known in the myths of ancient Greece.
- Although Algethi's resurrection in the Hades arc was clearly depicted in the anime adaptation as a minor addition to the plot, Kurumada only hinted it in his manga, with the open tombs of deceased Silver Saints.
Algethi's previous incarnation in the 18th century appeared in the still non-canon sidestory Saint Seiya Lost Canvas. His name was not revealed, but he was physically identical to his 20th century incarnation, and was addressed to by the name of his constellation, Hercules.
Since this 18th century incarnation appears only in that sidestory, non-authored by Masami Kurumada, he still holds a status as a non-canonical character.
- Masami Kurumada designed Algethi based on the representations of the hero Hercules from Greek mythology. In it, Hercules wore the invulnerable skin of the terrible Nemean Lion, whom he slayed, and he wielded a powerful mace, hence the name Kornephoros, one of the names Hercules was known for in greek myths. Kurumada's design of the Hercules Silver Cloth displays these same traits, as the headpiece mask represents the Nemean Lion's head, one of the arm guards is shaped as a mace, and the breastplate and hip guards are similar to the traditional clothes worn by ancient greeks.
- In addition, as the Leo Gold Cloth, worn by Gold Saint Leo Aiolia represents the Nemean Lion as Algethi's Hercules Silver Cloth partially does, Kurumada designed the headpieces of these Cloths to have a similar shape.
- To date, Algethi holds the record of the tallest among Athena's Saints.
- Well, if creatures like Cerberus, Hydra, Minos and Minotaur(G) and Angels like Icarus, Theseus, Odysseus are existing in Saint Seiya realm, then the Angel version of Hercules, wearing Hercules Glory, exists or existed on mount Olympus.
- Saint Seiya Vol. 7, by Masami Kurumada.
- Saint Seiya Vol. 13, by Masami Kurumada.
- Saint Seiya Official Encyclopedia
- Saint Seiya Hades Chapter: Sanctuary OVA Episode 3, (anime ep.117)
|Types||Bronze Saints • Silver Saints • Gold Saints • Steel Saints • Black Saints • Caraib Ghost Saints • Corona Saints • Pegasus Saints • Resurrected Saints • Saintias • Unknown Saints|